Avoid this malicious indexers

In order to promote the free market mechanism for delegation. I want to start this thread for all delegators to discuss and share about bad/ malicious indexers who delegators should avoid. Currently the protocol allows indexers freely change their % cut anytime as long as they have no cool down period, therefore some indexers are able to do undesirable behaviors to delegators.

Let discuss and share about them, so we know who we have to avoid. Feel free to share this thread into discord and telegram.
I believe that this will be benefit to our community.

4 Likes

@chakrit how would you define malicious?

It might be interesting to have something like a “max rate change” parameter that indexers could define that would allow indexers more flexibility in rate changes while protecting delegators from rug pulls.

Also if delegators avoided indexers with no cooldown it would incentivize indexers to set longer cool down periods.

1 Like

For me, I would define to any behaviors that any reasonable person know obviously it is unfair. For example, indexers set low percent fee cut to attract delegators, then they jack up to high percent fee cut before closing allocation.

Obviously but that is very subjective. If you’re worried about an indexer rug pulling only delegate to indexers that have a defined cool down period. For example I have 2 indexers; one with only 5% fees and no cool own fees.

If I change to 30% tomorrow is that considered malicious? I never made any promise on discord or telegram about keeping those cuts long term.

Not making any judgements I would love the insight of the average delegator.

This is a great idea. I would be livid if my Indexer randomly chose to switch his shared amt from 80+% to like 20% or something. I think this resource is a wonderful idea to hold them responsible and to make others aware. AKA Thank you for this! lol

1 Like

For me I would say anything an Indexer does that they do despite knowing that it will harm or negatively affect their Delegators…

I agreed with you that this is kind of subjective. I believe the graph team are working very hard to make this project better but there are many aspects to focus now and this might take time. Meanwhile, I think at least if we keep delegators to be informed by posting indexers’s behavior. Let them decide by themself whether they are ok with a particular indexer, wouldn’t it be better for the community?

1 Like

Check out Indexer pages on https://thegraph.live/ - they show reward cut history so you can see what indexers have done in the past.

2 Likes

That’s great. Need to check at least these 2 columns - reward cut history and allocation. Then analyse date/ time in both columns. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

I think the Graph ecosystem is in the beginneng and e.g. a utility like “EtherDrops Tracking Bot” would be good for getting automatic information when indexer change the their cut or close allocations.

I have delegated to stakesquid-1.eth 0x7697a886fc3b71a8a88487019337a6bbe5838f1a
And unfortunately I have to say that this reward cut history wasn’t OK.
What is also confusing to me is the fact that there is also another? indexer with the same name but another address: StakeSquid 0xd22c1c1a1fc452e3312489f1e89676e93c3323f0

What are your thoughts?
Is somethere a list for “recommended/good” indexers from more experienced community members as me?

Actually, stakesquid is one of the good indexers.
Could you clarify in more detail, what was wrong?

We kept the cuts consistent at around 10% while having higher APY than the majority of the indexers that had the same, approximately, rewards cut as ours. :slightly_smiling_face:
Not really sure how we can improve our service here, because we already been doing as best as possible.

@KonstantinRM,
I speak about indexer 0x7697a886fc3b71a8a88487019337a6bbe5838f1a
Up to 30 Mar 21, 05:09:12 everything was OK.
Date Query Fee Cut Indexing Cut
30 Mar 21, 23:54:00 75.00% 75.00%
09 Apr 21, 21:26:34 86.55% 86.55%
10 Apr 21, 04:47:38 92.69% 92.69%
23 Apr 21, 01:20:21 47.98% 47.98%
28 Apr 21, 04:52:36 15.83% 15.83%
Are there any reasons why to make this massive changes?

@ indexer_payne,
are you also stakesquid-1.eth 0x7697a886fc3b71a8a88487019337a6bbe5838f1a
because I saw another post that your are StakeSquid 0xd22c1c1a1fc452e3312489f1e89676e93c3323f0

Thanks for giving me more understanding!

During that time 80-90% of our delegated stake was taken out by our Delegators in order to withdraw their rewards from staking. The cuts were balanced to take that into consideration, but the APY stayed the same at around 10% :slightly_smiling_face:
Once everyone was back in, the cuts were readjusted once again.

understand, thanks.
That shows that it would be good to have additional analytical informations to understand and evaluate that kind of actions.

May I ask you another question?!
indexer p2p-org.eth 0x5a8904be09625965d9aec4bffd30d853438a053e
https://thegraph.live is showing only staking until epoch 84.
But I see never the less that the earned rewards are rising.
How can that be?!

Use graphscan.io, it’s a lot better to visualize metrics

Yes, looks a bit better and most important here I can see under allocations that it is still working.
:ok_hand:

i am extremely new to staking I have tokens but cannot seem to find nor figure out how to stake to indexer.Help?

1 Like

Welcome to the community and thanks for being proactive in raising this question. I would recommend starting with the Delegator Hub on the Graph Academy which explains everything around Delegation:

Also, feel free to join our discord server where we have active community members able to help you with specific questions you might have along the way, recommending the ‘delegator’ channel specifically:

1 Like