Cross-platform desktop GUI for `graph-cli`

Hi Graph community and devs,

I am thinking of creating a desktop GUI for graph-cli that will transform it to a user-friendly cross platform desktop application.

Problems

• Config Complexity: Managing subgraphs on Graph CLI may be challenging for users due to its complexity if a user works on multiple subgraphs at the same time.
  • Error Handling: Using CLIs can often be prone to syntax errors and requires a steep learning curve for users unfamiliar with Graph CLI commands.
  • Developer Workflows: Without a GUI, managing subgraphs via Graph CLI can be time-consuming and may not integrate smoothly into developers’ workflows, particularly for those connected to graphical interfaces.

Solutions and Benefits

• User-Friendly Management: Graph CLI GUI offers a user-friendly platform to manage subgraphs, thus eliminating the complexity of using CLI, enhancing the developer experience, and making the process accessible to users with varied expertise.
  • Intuitive Error Mitigation: By providing actionable error messages and tips with a well-designed error parser, the GUI reduces the likelihood of errors and simplifies troubleshooting.
  • Seamless Developer Workflows: The GUI ensures easy integration and management of subgraph operations within Graph CLI developers’ workflows, significantly reducing the time and effort required in CLI interactions.

Audience

• Non-Technical Users: Individuals who wish to interact with the Stellar network without navigating the technicalities of a Graph CLI.
  • Developers: Those looking to streamline subgraph operation processes and improve efficiency.
  • Organizations: Businesses and entities aiming to manage their subgraphs with minimal technical barriers.

Scheme

Mail: kklumert@gmail.com
Telegram: mertkklu
Discord: MertK#2634

If community would value such a project, then I will create a detailed technical scheme, mockups and other specifications of it. This is just a summary of the proposal, and wanted to get feedback from community. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

6 Likes

Hi @justmert ,

Thanks for sharing this proposal.

I see the appeal in such a GUI, and I want to ensure subgraph developers are aware of this proposal.

Did you try sharing the link to this thread in other venues such as our dev-focused Discord channels? Do join our Discord server if you haven’t already: graphprotocol

6 Likes

Thanks @Pedro, i have shared it, and waiting for any feedback!

3 Likes

Hey @Pedro, if possible, we want to apply grants with this idea.

I have received grants for other protocols with similar gui idea (for their respective cli tools) and they loved using it.

As far as know, The Graph currently only supports retroactive grants. Is it correct? Do we need to implement the project in order to be considered for the grant before applying?

1 Like

Hey @justmert - I am a Product Manager working on the CLI with @saihaj, this is an interesting idea. Can you share some of the examples you mention for other protocols?

4 Likes

Thank you for your interest @adamfuller. We have implemented GUI for Dfinity (for dfx-cli), and Stellar (for soroban-cli). These two projects are supported through grants. Here’s the details of them,

dfx-cli GUI for Dfinity

The Bounty: Assigned BNT-7 - DFX Dashboard GUI - A native app - Bounties - Internet Computer Developer Forum
Repository: GitHub - tolgayayci/dfinity-dfx-gui: DFINITY DFX GUI is a cross platform, electron based application designed to streamline the use of the dfx CLI.
Releases: Releases · tolgayayci/dfinity-dfx-gui · GitHub

You can see the GUI screenshots, features etc. in the release.

soroban-cli GUI for Stellar

Repository: GitHub - tolgayayci/soroban-cli-gui
Releases: Releases · tolgayayci/soroban-cli-gui · GitHub

You can also see the screenshots in the release.

1 Like

Hey @adamfuller, any feedback for the implementations?

1 Like

Hey @justmert - would this be contributing to the core Graph CLI repository?

1 Like

No, actually this will be a seperate repository that we will be developing.

If it is better to contribute to the core Graph CLI repository, then I want you to know that we are also open to it.

1 Like