In this post we have received broad community support for improving network stake decentralization (80%+). The following post specifies details for implementing the most supported idea (75%+) to improve stake decentralization, which is to introduce UI changes in the Graph Explorer using a concept already implemented at Solana.
The main goal of this idea is to raise Delegator awareness to stake centralization at the point in time they make their next delegation and to thus meaningfully influence Delegators to contribute to stake decentralization. This can be accomplished by establishing and Indexer Decentralization Threshold (Upper Cut Line) where large Indexers above the threshold would be grouped in a collapsed view followed by a decentralization message below to encourage Delegators to choose an Indexer below the threshold. Solana hereby can be viewed as an example of that:
We have also heard valuable feedback from @KonstantinRM emphasizing that while stake decentralization aims to fend off delegation actions motivated by thoughts of “simply picking a large Indexer”, one should also be mindful about swinging the pendulum the other way to not end up incentivizing a motivation of “simply picking a small Indexer”. There is broad alignment to promote Indexers that are actively engaged in the community, who are positively contributing to the ecosystem and who are supporting other network members, regardless of their size in the network. Reflecting on Konstantin’s feedback, I hereby propose further amendments to the initial idea. In addition to the Upper Cut Line (Decentralization Threshold) I suggest to also introduce a Lower Cut Line which can be interpreted as a Reputation Threshold. More details on that below.
Important to note is that the suggested changes do not constitute protocol design changes and therefore are not presented here as a GIP. The scope for this proposal is isolated to UI changes on the Graph Explorer and should therefore inform the Core Devs team on what the community agrees to.
This proposal suggests establishing an Indexer Decentralization Threshold of 2%. Any Indexer whose total staking value (self-staked & delegations) is above 2% of the total network stake would be considered a large Indexer (currently true for nine Indexers). That would be made visible to Delegators in the Graph Explorer in an effort to stimulate future Delegations to be made with smaller Indexers as follows:
- The threshold would appear as a line on the Graph Explorer where Delegators choose their Indexer, located at the top of the table. Above the line are Indexers above the threshold, below the line are Indexers below the threshold
- The line would be drawn with a message that states: “More delegations above this line can negatively impact network security. Consider delegating to an Indexer below this line”
- All Indexers above the line are shown in a collapsed view similar to the image shown in the Solana example
In an effort to promote Indexers that demonstrate active intentions to being a valuable Indexers in the Graph network and community, this proposal introduces a Reputation Threshold for Indexers to meet the following minimum criteria:
- ENS Name
- Query Fee Cut and Indexer Rewards Cut below 95% (based on new logic described in Stable Reward Yield)
- Minimum one active subgraph allocation in prior 72 hrs
- Minimum 50% of total stake allocated to subgraphs at any point in last 72 hrs
- Minimum 50% of allocations on subgraphs other than PoolTogether in last 72 hrs
Any Indexer that fails to meet the above criteria would be captured by the Reputation Threshold as follows:
- The threshold would appear as a line on the Graph Explorer where Delegators choose their Indexer, located at the bottom of the table. Below the line are Indexers not meeting the threshold, above the line are Indexers that meet the threshold.
- The line would be drawn with a message that states: “Indexers below this line are anonymous, not intending to accept new delegations or failing to meet minimum protocol activity criteria. Consider delegating to an Indexer above this line”
- All Indexers below the line are shown in a collapsed view similar to the image shown in the Solana example
One other aspect of the Solana Beach Validator table layout that seems effective is the streamlined design of the Validator table that draws a user’s attention to the most important data points. The Graph ecosystem has already a number of insightful dashboards (Graphscan, Graphtronauts, etc) that provide deeper information on Indexers. Therefore, one could argue that the Graph Explorer can in turn focus on the most critical pieces of information for Delegators at the time they make their delegation decision. This is the current design:
This proposal suggests a design update that moves a number of the above data points from the default view into the expanded view, in order to create a cleaner appearance. It should instead show only the below data points:
The remaining data point should still be accessible in the expanded view.
Looking forward to your feedback!