Indexer Performance Workshop

Thinking about workshops for the following months, I would love to know if #participants:indexers would be interested in having an Indexer Performance Workshop, and what topics it should include :slight_smile:

9 Likes

These are some of the specific questions i had about performance :

• How to identify bottlenecks in the overall indexer setup ?
  • How to speed up indexing ?
  • What’s the best performance metrics ?
  • Is “blocks processing” an accurate performance indicator ? Why is it just below 120 on OpenEthereum and just below 60 on TurboGeth, bizarly a factor 2 ? While simple 5 min interval measurements of how many blocks are indexed, shows them much closer ?
  • How to asses a setup’s capacity for handling real-world queries and which tweaks / improvements can be made to increase capacity ?
  • Does indexing more than one subgraph at the same time over the same infrastructure (indexer, ETH archive) slow down the speed at which it happens ?
12 Likes

I’d like to see a workshop that covers the lessons learned on hosted. It could be broken up by indexing component:

• INDEXING: Optimising ethnode -> graph-node performance
  • INDEXING: Optimising graph-node -> database performance
  • SERVING QUERIES: Optimising query-node -> database performance
  • OPS: Top metrics monitored on hosted
  • PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING: Top ten performance issues on hosted and how they are mitigated
  • ANECDOTES: Hosted war stories

will edit and add more if they come to mind.

10 Likes

Yes, would love a workshop like this.

Would echo all the topic suggestions given by @cryptovestor and @Koen.

3 Likes

Hey @cryptovestor , that sounds awesome. However, I think an end to end guide on getting setup as an indexer is something else we need.

2 Likes

Agreed - would you create a post making the request then we can flesh out what it would look like?

1 Like

Sure @cryptovestor, will do.

2 Likes

Would like to see this also, adding the topic to the already brought up ones;
PERFORMANCE: comparing bare metal and docker/kubernetes setups, when to choose what

2 Likes

I would love a better understanding of the gateway selection if possible, especially stuff like this to be explained how and why it happened.

3 Likes

+1 for Speed up Indexing for subgraph. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Maybe not related to performance, but a session on monitoring and alerts would be handy.

4 Likes

Could be interesting indeed, but yeah, i’d suggest making that different workshop. Feel free to make a fresh thread proposing this. :grin:

1 Like

Adding to @Koen’s msg, @DAppsDeFiCrypto it would be great that when you create a new thread for this proposal to include details or questions (maybe even a detail of what you already have in place?) for context to kickstart the conversation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

done

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Any update on this workshop ? I’d love to gain understanding of performance & tuning. @martintel

1 Like

Indexers expressed a lot of interest for this workshop in this week’s Office Hours :relaxed:

7 Likes