Add support for Astar zkEVM

About Astar zkEVM

Astar Network is the public blockchain ecosystem, serving as the Web3 gateway for enterprises, entertainment, and gaming in Japan and globally, aiming to deliver Web3 to billions for mass adoption. Astar Substrate has been the biggest parachain on Polkadot in terms of market cap and volume and is recognized as the go-to-market blockchain for Japanese enterprises.

Astar zkEVM is the new Ethereum L2 to expand the horizon of Astar ecosystem with zero knowledge (ZK) technology. By building a ZK Rollup of Ethereum leveraging Polygon CDK, Astar zkEVM provides an EVM-equivalent environment to Japanese use cases and shares access to the greater developer community and tooling of Ethereum ecosystem.

Currently, Astar zkEVM is still in the development phase. We aim to launch the Astar zkEVM testnet in late October 2023.

Contact Information

I’m the Head of Strategy at Astar Foundation. Our team sources and onboards competitive infrastructures and applications to Astar zkEVM to facilitate developer experiences and grow user adoption.

Graph Node integration

We are building Astar zkEVM leveraging Polygon CDK. Astar zkEVM is a standard Polygon-Hermez-based EVM chain and should work with no further changes on the Graph ecosystem.

We will provide the RPC endpoint when our network launches.

Integration with Subgraph Studio or alternatives

We can provide an RPC endpoint and key for Subgraph Studios.

Indexer Documentation

The requirements to index Astar zkEVM should be almost the same as indexing Polygon zkEVM.

7 Likes

Hey @Mingshi ,
We’re excited about bringing Astar into our network, but we’ve got a few things to figure out first:

1. Hardware Specs: What kind of hardware do we need to run an Astar node? Just the basics would be great.
  2. How-To Guide: Could you shoot over a guide or some docs on setting up and running your node? We want to make sure our Indexers have what they need.
  3. Astar zkEVM Subgraph for Testing: We need an Astar zkEVM subgraph for our test runs. Any help or direction on this would be super helpful.

Thanks a bunch for helping us out with this. Can’t wait to get things rolling!

1 Like

Hi @Mingshi :wave:

We currently support for Polygon zkEVM on Subgraph Studio, but it’s not supported on the network, which means our Indexers have never run that stack. This is why we kindly ask you to share that information with us. It will help expedite the process.

Also, you mentioned:

We will provide the RPC endpoint when our network launches.

What’s your timeline for network launch? Is there a testnet already?

1 Like

Hi @Pedro

I will do my best to share as much information as possible.
Our internal roadmap to launch the mainnet will be mid-Q1 2024. We already have a testnet up and running.

You can find all the information regarding our testnet here:

Please tag me if you have any questions.

1 Like

Hi @sbalda99
Thanks a lot for your questions and excited to work closer with The Graph team :pray:

Hardware Specs and How-To guides can be found here:
https://docs.astar.network/docs/build/zkEVM/zk-node/

We currently have no Subgraph running in our testnet but if you like we can set this up for your team.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing all of this!

We currently have no Subgraph running in our testnet but if you like we can set this up for your team.

We don’t need access to the graph node serving subgraph, but the subgraph code itself so our Indexers can sync the data locally as a way to ensure the graph node integration works well and investigate any data determinism issues.

Can you share any subgraphs (source code) with us? Maybe from some of the dapps building on Astar zkEVM testnet?

Thanks!

EDIT: https://docs.astar.network/docs/build/zkEVM/zk-node/setup-rpc-node
is what our Indexers will need to read. Note that although the docker-compose lists the prover, the service is not a requirement for RPC node operators. The Astar team has confirmed this.

1 Like

On this! As soon I have this I will share it with you.

Running a ZK RPC requires a prover node from a technical standpoint.
But this node doesn’t act as a trusted prover. It only runs a permissionless executor server and a hash db to interact with the RPC. This node consumes very low resources in the context of the RPC. It does not calculate any proof. I shared our config in our support group.

1 Like