The Graph Council - Meeting #3 Notes

Council members value transparency and have agreed to follow Chatham House Rules for sharing meeting notes. On Monday, April 5, 2021, The Graph Council held its 3rd meeting.

The Graph Council Meeting - Meeting #3 - April 5, 2021


Council Members (“Members”)
Michael Anderson
Jim Cousins
Yondon Fu
Gary Morris
Justin Moses
Spencer Noon
Santiago Palladino
Brandon Ramirez
Yaniv Tal
Kayvon Tehranian

The Graph Foundation
Eva Beylin, Director, The Graph Foundation (the “Foundation”)

Note Taker
Jeremy Sklaroff, Edge & Node Ventures, Inc. (“Edge & Node”)

Council Business
The meeting commenced at noon PDT.


GIP-0002 Recap and Post-Mortem

A Member discussed the GIP-0002 upgrade process and informed the Council that the upgrade has been completed, is already being used, and is functioning as intended. The Member stated that the community response has been positive so far. Another Member noted that though there were certain community groups strongly opposed to the decision to implement 0002, community support for the decision was ultimately extremely positive.

There was a discussion about community moderation and norm-setting. One Member observed that it is hard to know how the Council should react to small but vocal minorities who disagree with a given proposal even though there is widespread community support for it. The Member stated that the Council should clarify that Snapshot polls do not imply governance votes - such polls are used to gauge community sentiment but are not binding. Another Member echoed the need to clarify the use of Snapshot polls.

The discussion widened to ways that other decentralized projects have engaged in community moderation, including by elevating community members who have made strong informal contributions to governance to more formal governance positions. The Member thought The Graph could adopt this approach to improve community protocol improvement discussions and further decentralize decision-making in the ecosystem. A Member discussed The Graph Foundation’s plan to introduce a Community DAO, which could be used to empower such community members in discussions of GIPs.

The Members discussed the need to ensure that Delegators are adequately represented on the Council. One Member, who participates in the ecosystem as an Indexer and a Delegator, spoke about how the Member balances the different governance and economic considerations in serving as an Indexer versus serving as a Delegator. The Members thought that the previously discussed mechanism to elevate actively engaged community members in protocol improvement conversations could be a way to provide Delegators greater representation as well. The Members also thought that there should be improved communications with the community as to the fact that there are two Members who were nominated to represent Delegators and smaller-scale token holders.

Finally, the Members discussed the need to ensure that these initiatives have sufficient funding from the Foundation.


There was a brief update by a Member that GIP-0003 is nearing completion and that the Members should expect an async vote on the proposal soon.

Foundation Updates
The Foundation gave an update on Wave 1 Foundation grants.

There was a discussion as to the appropriate role of the Council in awarding Foundation grants. The Foundation will provide the Council an opportunity to vote on Wave 2 grants and will continue to consider the details of such a vote. The Foundation was also sensitive to the need to avoid overly-granular Council votes, so as to avoid bottlenecks and ensure the Council can focus on higher-priority issues.

Subgraph Migration Plan

A Member discussed the subgraph mainnet migration plan, reviewing the migration process that has been previously publicized in recent Foundation blog posts.

Sugraph Migration-Related GIPs

A Member gave a brief preview of the Protocol Town Hall taking place the following day.

Graph Council Charter Updates

A representative from Edge & Node discussed ongoing work with the Foundation to construct a Council Charter. The Charter is being designed so that it is a flexible document that does not impose burdensome procedural requirements on the Council, and to give the Council the maximum amount of governance power over the Foundation allowed under Cayman Islands law.

Governance Tooling

A Member briefly discussed the need for the Council to continue adopting new governance tools, such as those related to the GIP process.


A Member updated the Council on engagements with protocol auditors. Engagements have been finalized for May and June, which should accelerate review of new GIPs. The Member also described plans to engage an economic auditor to review protocol changes from an economic, rather than technical security, standpoint. The economic auditor would be engaged through a Wave 2 Foundation grant.

Protocol Town Hall

A Member described the agenda for the Protocol Town Hall taking place the following day.

Ramping Up Council on Protocol Knowledge

A Member discussed ongoing work to determine the appropriate level of technical protocol educational efforts for Members. The Member described the importance of Members having a strong technical understanding of the protocol but avoiding going too in-depth on topics that could distract from the Members’ other governance duties. The Member stated that they would plan to continue the current practice of providing necessary background on technical topics as necessary to evaluate proposals. Another Member explored the possibility of using a Foundation grant to incentivize the creation of public educational content around technical protocol concepts.

Next Meeting

The Council agreed to meet again in two weeks.

The meeting adjourned at 1:00 pm PDT.


Sharing the meeting notes according to Chatham House Rules is highly appreciated by the community. Eva and Jeremy are doing a fantastic job with these reports :+1: Thank you very much for that!

I agree with the sentiment expressed by Council members in regards to community communications and I too find it important to strengthen this process. GIP-0002, for instance, has shown how important it is to educate community members more thoroughly on the objectives of a specific proposal, ideally before opening it up to a vote. Perhaps even an unbiased discussion supported by numbers and statistics about the advantages and disadvantages of the proposal for the different stakeholder groups. If we accomplish this, educated community members will be less likely to fall prey to third parties spreading falsehoods about governance proposals.

I noticed the false impression within the community that Indexers have the greatest voting power and that voting his heavily scewed thowards Indexers. This is another topic that may require more education for community members, seeing that each of the three groups (wallet GRT, delegated GRT and Indexer staked GRT) are worth exactly 33.33% of the scoring. We started a first initiative on this with The Graph Academy but there is still room for improvents in this area: Your Voting Power on Snapshot | The Graph Academy However, I believe it’s also important to focus a part of our activities on getting more Delegators and token holders involved in the governance voting process.

This is another important area to focus on when it comes to community communication. Many less active community participants expected the vote to be binding. If I remember correctly, the vote was presented as nonbinding community vote, with The Graph Council having the last say. Therefore, we would have to focus more closely on communicating the intention of allowing votes on a proposal, i.e. gauging community sentiment.

I started gauging the community’s sentiment towards this topic in February 2021 (Council Members for Delegators/Curators - #8 by SpaceTraveler). And while I agree that Delegators are somewhat represented by the Council members that are part of the Backer group, I think it would lend more confidence to the Delegator stakeholder group as a whole towards the governance process if it had direct representatives in the Council that are easily approachable for Delegators.


I have made a Spanish translation of the meeting 3.
And I consider should be a good idea to have translation of the discusion. Could be a different category.


GIP-0002 Resumen y Minuta de Reunión

Un miembro analizó el proceso de actualización de GIP-0002 e informó al Consejo que la actualización se ha completado, ya se está utilizando y está funcionando según lo previsto. El miembro declaró que la respuesta de la comunidad ha sido positiva hasta ahora. Otro miembro señaló que, aunque había ciertos grupos comunitarios que se oponían firmemente a la decisión de implementar 0002, el apoyo de la comunidad a la decisión fue, en última instancia, extremadamente positivo.

Hubo una discusión sobre la moderación comunitaria y el establecimiento de normas. Un miembro observó que es difícil saber cómo debería reaccionar el Consejo ante minorías pequeñas pero expresivas que no están de acuerdo con una propuesta determinada, a pesar de que existe un amplio apoyo de la comunidad. El miembro declaró que el Consejo debería aclarar que las encuestas instantáneas no implican votos de gobernanza; estas encuestas se utilizan para medir el sentimiento de la comunidad, pero no son vinculantes. Otro miembro se hizo eco de la necesidad de aclarar el uso de encuestas instantáneas.

La discusión se amplió a las formas en que otros proyectos descentralizados se han involucrado en la moderación comunitaria, incluso elevando a los miembros de la comunidad que han hecho fuertes contribuciones informales a la gobernanza a posiciones de gobernanza más formales. El miembro pensó que The Graph podría adoptar este enfoque para mejorar las discusiones de mejora del protocolo de la comunidad y descentralizar aún más la toma de decisiones en el ecosistema. Un miembro discutió el plan de la Fundación The Graph para introducir un DAO comunitario, que podría usarse para empoderar a los miembros de la comunidad en las discusiones sobre los GIP.

Los miembros discutieron la necesidad de garantizar que los delegados estén adecuadamente representados en el Consejo. Un miembro, que participa en el ecosistema como indexador y delegador, habló sobre cómo el miembro equilibra las diferentes consideraciones económicas y de gobernanza al servir como indexador versus servir como delegador. Los Miembros pensaron que el mecanismo discutido anteriormente para elevar a los miembros de la comunidad activamente comprometidos en las conversaciones de mejora del protocolo podría ser una forma de proporcionar a los Delegadores una mayor representación también. Los miembros también pensaron que debería haber una mejor comunicación con la comunidad en cuanto al hecho de que hay dos miembros que fueron nominados para representar a los delegados y a los poseedores de tokens de menor escala.

Finalmente, los miembros discutieron la necesidad de asegurar que estas iniciativas cuenten con la financiación suficiente de la Fundación.


Un miembro informó brevemente que GIP-0003 está a punto de completarse y que los miembros deberían esperar una votación asincrónica sobre la propuesta pronto.

Actualizaciones de la fundación

La Fundación dio una actualización sobre las subvenciones de la Fundación Etapa 1.

Hubo un debate sobre el papel apropiado del Consejo en la concesión de subvenciones de la Fundación. La Fundación brindará al Consejo la oportunidad de votar sobre las subvenciones de la Etapa 2 y continuará considerando los detalles de dicha votación. La Fundación también fue sensible a la necesidad de evitar votaciones del Consejo demasiado granulares, a fin de evitar cuellos de botella y garantizar que el Consejo pueda centrarse en cuestiones de mayor prioridad.

Plan de migración de subgrafo

Un miembro discutió el plan de migración de la red central, revisando el proceso de migración que se ha publicitado previamente en publicaciones recientes del blog de la Fundación.

GIP relacionados con la migración de Sugraph

Un miembro ofreció un breve adelanto de la presentación del Protocolo que tendrá lugar al día siguiente.

Actualizaciones de los estatutos de The Graph Council

Un representante de Edge & Node discutió el trabajo en curso con la Fundación para construir una Carta del Consejo. La Carta se está diseñando para que sea un documento flexible que no imponga requisitos de procedimiento onerosos al Consejo, y para darle al Consejo el máximo poder de gobierno sobre la Fundación, de acuerdo a lo permitido por la ley de las Islas Caimán.

Herramientas de gobernanza

Un miembro analizó brevemente la necesidad de que el Consejo continúe adoptando nuevas herramientas de gobernanza, como las relacionadas con el proceso de GIP.


Un miembro informó al Consejo sobre los compromisos con los auditores de protocolo. Se han finalizado los compromisos para mayo y junio, lo que debería acelerar la revisión de nuevos GIP. El Miembro también describió planes para contratar a un auditor económico para revisar los cambios de protocolo desde un punto de vista económico, más que de seguridad técnica. El auditor económico se contrataría a través de una subvención de La Fundación The Graph Etapa 2.

Presentación de Protocolo

Un miembro describió el orden del día de presentación de Protocolo que tendrá lugar al día siguiente.

Incrementar el conocimiento del Consejo sobre el Protocolo

Un miembro discutió el trabajo en curso para determinar los esfuerzos educativos de nivel técnico del protocolo para los miembros. El Miembro describió la importancia de que los Miembros tengan un sólido conocimiento técnico del protocolo, pero eviten profundizar demasiado en temas que podrían distraer la atención de las demás obligaciones de gobernanza de los Miembros. El Miembro declaró que planearían continuar con la práctica actual de proporcionar los antecedentes necesarios sobre temas técnicos según sea necesario para evaluar las propuestas. Otro miembro exploró la posibilidad de utilizar una subvención de la Fundación para incentivar la creación de contenido educativo público en torno a conceptos técnicos del protocolo.

Próxima reunión

El Consejo acordó reunirse de nuevo en dos semanas.

La reunión terminó a la 1:00 pm PDT