The Graph Council - Meeting #3 Notes

Sharing the meeting notes according to Chatham House Rules is highly appreciated by the community. Eva and Jeremy are doing a fantastic job with these reports :+1: Thank you very much for that!

I agree with the sentiment expressed by Council members in regards to community communications and I too find it important to strengthen this process. GIP-0002, for instance, has shown how important it is to educate community members more thoroughly on the objectives of a specific proposal, ideally before opening it up to a vote. Perhaps even an unbiased discussion supported by numbers and statistics about the advantages and disadvantages of the proposal for the different stakeholder groups. If we accomplish this, educated community members will be less likely to fall prey to third parties spreading falsehoods about governance proposals.

I noticed the false impression within the community that Indexers have the greatest voting power and that voting his heavily scewed thowards Indexers. This is another topic that may require more education for community members, seeing that each of the three groups (wallet GRT, delegated GRT and Indexer staked GRT) are worth exactly 33.33% of the scoring. We started a first initiative on this with The Graph Academy but there is still room for improvents in this area: Your Voting Power on Snapshot | The Graph Academy However, I believe it’s also important to focus a part of our activities on getting more Delegators and token holders involved in the governance voting process.

This is another important area to focus on when it comes to community communication. Many less active community participants expected the vote to be binding. If I remember correctly, the vote was presented as nonbinding community vote, with The Graph Council having the last say. Therefore, we would have to focus more closely on communicating the intention of allowing votes on a proposal, i.e. gauging community sentiment.

I started gauging the community’s sentiment towards this topic in February 2021 (Council Members for Delegators/Curators - #8 by SpaceTraveler). And while I agree that Delegators are somewhat represented by the Council members that are part of the Backer group, I think it would lend more confidence to the Delegator stakeholder group as a whole towards the governance process if it had direct representatives in the Council that are easily approachable for Delegators.

2 Likes